On 24 July 2021, Kurdish-Turkish musician Ferhat Tunç revealed that he was informed by the German authorities that his life might be in danger after his name appear on the alleged “execution list” of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s opponents who fled Turkey and reside abroad, mainly in Europe, reported ANF News.
Bugün Almanya’nın Darmstadt Polis Merkezinden özel görevli polisleri tarafından, 54 kişilik ölüm listesinde adımın geçmesi nedeniyle bilgilendirildim. Can güvenliğimin tehdit altında olduğu bildirildi bana. Konuyla ilgili benimle dialogda olacaklarını belirttiler.
— FERHAT TUNÇ (@ferhatttunc) July 23, 2021
“Freemuse is extremely concerned by the ongoing persecution of Ferhat Tunç and the allegations of his naming on a so-called ‘execution list’ ,” said Emily D’Alterio, Acting Freemuse Spokesperson. “We urge the Turkish authorities to end Ferhat’s ongoing legal prosecution and to protect his right to express himself artistically without fear of repercussion to his personal safety.”
According to Morning Star, the alleged “execution list” contains 55 names, including opposition journalists. The German government commented on the alleged existence of the list when Interior Minister Helmut Teichman said that “there are currently references to various lists of the people who are allegedly criticising the Turkish government,” as Bianet reports.
Writer and PEN International’s member Gökhan Yavuzel, whose name also appeared on the alleged “execution list”, was attacked by four individuals in Wales on 28 July 2021.
On 13 July 2021, Tunç was tried before Diyarbakır 5th High Criminal Court on “terrorist propaganda” for eight Twitter posts. In the Tweets, the artist was criticising the “Olive Branch military operation” from 2018.
The Court adjourned the trial to 23 December 2021 to wait for the execution of the arrest warrant. The artist lives in Germany since March 2019.
Trial where artist @ferhatttunc faces “terrorist propaganda” charges for criticizing the “Olive Branch military operation” resumed at Diyarbakır 5th High Criminal Court.
Court decided to wait for the execution of the arrest warrant and adjourned the trial until Dec 23, 2021. pic.twitter.com/kekNtxBHAM
— MLSA (@mlsaturkey) July 13, 2021
As Freemuse’s State of Artistic Freedom 2021 reports, Tunç has been under constant scrutiny by the authorities since 2012, when he was first convicted under anti-terror legislation. Since then, he has been subjected to many other prosecutions on accusations of terrorist propaganda and insulting the president.
Read more here about Ferhat Tunç many legal prosecutions over his social media posts.